Music Banter - View Single Post - Religious people: what is your level of observance?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #480 (permalink)
Waddles
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I'm 100% atheist, but I respect religious people. If nothing else, I realize that life is hard and that we're all looking for some way to cope. Years back, I used to be way more militant in my atheism, but now I feel like I just want to find a way to let life slide by with minimal friction. I don't believe in an afterlife, but I'm not going to call you a fool for maybe doing so.

Sorry to hear about your PTSD btw. Can't imagine what that's like.

It would be a comfort to believe that there's something better waiting around the bend, but I just can't believe that. I've accepted my mortality. Just trying to use it as a motivation to make the most of my time and be more kind.
What follows in this post may trigger some with issues related to abuse.

Thank you for your comment about PTSD. I appreciate the sentiment.

Obviously you and I disagree about the existence of God and much of what follows after, but I don't blame people for their hostility toward Christians. If I'm pushed to label myself, I'll say I'm a Christian who doesn't like Christians.

My PTSD is from child abuse; part of my trauma comes from professing Christians who molested me. I was brainwashed into guilt-based faith, where "if you feel like crap, you're probably saved." I always tried so hard to be good, to do right, and yet I always felt like God was mad at me.

Religion like that is a means to control others, not uplift them, and I have zero tolerance for people who try to peddle that crap in my direction. I really try to be civil when dealing with followers of such religion, but when I run into the leaders who perpetuate that bull****, they tend to get an earful.

Waddles is offline   Reply With Quote