Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #22154 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
These guys are great. I thought The Endless dragged a little bit and they could’ve cut some footage to fix the pacing issues. Resolution on the other hand is one of the best deconstructions of horror out there, not as good as Scream but right on the next tier. Endless 4/5, Resolution 5/5
I do agree that The Endless could have cut down some of the slower moments in the beginning, but I think I like it better than Resolution. I'll have to watch it again to find out.

Spoiler for rambling interpretation:
The reflexive element of the movie was insanely well done and thought provoking. Where Resolution made the unknown force an ambiguous amalgamation of the audience, the directors, and the director's expectations of what the audience wants, The Endless showed that force as more of a mix of the writer/director relationship and finding their combined voice. By casting the directors as the lead characters who seem to be unaffected by these loops at this point, they almost serve as omnipresent narrators who also interact with the environment. The heavy use of tapes and the tying in of Resolution seems to be a reference to actors becoming inseparable from their characters in the media/audience's mind and are forever stuck on that one loop while the media/audience is still seeing the story of these filmmakers' filmography unfold. I think that in the lead roles escaping getting stuck in a loop on their own, the force trying to keep them in that loop is the audience's expectations based on earlier films and becoming derivative in hopes of being considered auteurs. They break free at the end, but they see the crescent moon in the horizon. They've moved on, but they'll never really be free from the risk of unintentional self-parody or making their own style redundant. And even though they might have moved on, a part of them is still forever bound to the loop of this film.

Third film - 3 moons
Arguing brothers - director duo
Cult setting - heavy references to a small film
Justin always wanting to control everything and Aaron - Justin is the writer
Almost all of the actors play characters with the same first name

Excited to uncover more things like that on further viewings.

Also it cracked me up when Shitty Carl shot himself, reincarnated in the shed, then was like "Fuck!"

Me waiting for their next film:

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote