Music Banter - View Single Post - Is emo becoming trendy? (p.s. i love you)
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
franscar
Honky

I think the whole thing has exploded rather at the moment. Emo has become a trendy buzzword that a lot of people use, which has caused a LOT of resentment and bitterness among some of the older fans of the genre (you only have to read a few topics on here to get a feel of that) and then there are of course the newer "fans" of the genre who only go to gigs or buy the cd's in order to look "cool" to whoever it is they're trying to impress, and in the middle there are the people who have only recently been in a position to hear the music, and enjoy it for what it really is.

Personally I think it's great that a lot of essentially small, local based bands have started to make an impact outside their immediate vicinity, and like with all other local based movements, it's only a matter of time before it becomes the new hit for the MTV's (see the rise and fall of Seattle in the early '90's). The real test will be how well the bands cope with it, and whether it changes them and their music for the better or for the worse. I couldn't care if they are all smacked off their tits on drugs and whores every night of the week so long as they keep on pumping out good records, and although some of these bands' original fans will turn their backs on them for becoming famous, I don't think that makes much difference in the long run.
franscar is offline   Reply With Quote