Music Banter - View Single Post - MicShazam will listen to anything.
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 AM   #66 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
First I thought this is what might happen if Andre 3000 listened to way too much Talking Heads for a month. But actually, it's very late-era Bowie in style. Maybe also like parts of the circa-Berlin trilogy output.

I liked it. Very vibrant and lively music and vocal delivery. Maybe a whole album of this exact sort of voice antics might be a bit much to take, but I doubt that's how the entire album sounds.

I wouldn't be opposed to hearing more from this dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitron View Post
Not sure what your opinions on electronic music are, but this is a favorite of mine:
I don't listen to much electronic music that gets this far into a certain end of it. The artists I like are more in the indie/electronica/pop end of things. Like Barbara Morgenstern, Depeche Mode and such. I've got a Holly Herndon album that I like, but that's a very different sort of electronic music from this track here. The only thing I have that this track might remind me of musically is the all instrumental Martin Gore album "MG".

Maybe I find Deadmau a bit too straight forward in his sonic stylings. I feel like I'm trapped in some old Playstation 1 3D sci-fi shooter, with an announcer informing me in a gruff voice that I've just gained the kill rank of "OVERKILL!!!!" or picked up an "ENERGY SHIELD!!!!".

Not bad. I kinda liked it a bit for what it was, but I'm not seeing much of chance that I'll be listening to full albums of this stuff in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
The last time I gave you recs it so happened that you were somewhat interested in the Danish band and kept the criticism to a bare minimum, but you were more severely critical of Belgium bands ... perhaps stemming from a prejudice against Belgian people? Now let's see how well the French Canadians will do.

ELI ET PAPILLON - Courage
Well, the joke's on you, because I pretty much thought this was really good. Strong Francoise Hardy vibes going on here in more ways than one (both her voice, singing style, songwriting style and those melodramatic movie orchestrations). I could see myself picking up an album, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
The basic songs aren't really my things to begin with, style wise. I've had a tough time appreciating gospel so far. Slather those songs in reverb and an oddly tinny, upper mids-oriented sonic gravy (with some slight distortions appearing all over the place that sound like when a super compressed record peaks) and I'm pretty much guaranteed to find it hard to sit through. And I did, even though it's not even 30 minutes long.

I'd be super interested in hearing what it is you find appealing about it. Both Frownie and any other members who know it or are willing to give it a listen.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote