Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #11093 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
Meanwhile you play fancy galaga games that have zero story, zero progression, zero achievements of any notable kind...you just shoot stuff and move through levels. Or you play fighting games that...again, have zero story, zero progression (outside of your own skill level), zero anything to reward you for playing. How is that more worthwhile? It's cool in an RPG when you actually have something to show for the effort you put in, like a maxed out party with sweet ass gear. I love reaching that peak of power in a game, it's more satisfying than anything else in the whole medium

Earthbound is absolutely nasty early on but eases up once you've got the full party. It's one of those games where I'm impressed people were able to beat it back in the day without any assistance from guides/message boards.
Bruh it's not hard to understand. Gameplay mechanics are as varied as music and people like different types of music. Mic engages with certain mechanics and you engage with certain mechanics. It's not or shouldn't be controversial, gamers are just too insular a culture and not appreciative of diversity in the way that many music fans are so people who think differently than the majority are marginalized in a way that would be seen as anti-creativity in other artistic contexts.

I absolutely see where Mic is coming from. I love RPG's that are about immersion in a world rather than immersion in pure game mechanics but I also understand that some people see the former as cheap and pointless and they aren't wrong given their mental perspective. TBH I wish I had more games that were the latter since the former can get tedious if that's all you have and a significant majority of popular games absolutely ignore pure game mechanics.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote