Music Banter - View Single Post - Let's Build Loren (the albums that have shaped my life)
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #115 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

Melvins - Houdini, 1993

I'm saying a lot redundant things but this is yet another album cover I cherish. Musically it's among their definitive and most celebrated albums, and the pinnacle of their early offering of grunge infused sludge metal. Nostalgia cuts deep from the first handful of tracks, namely Night Goat and Lizzy. Here they utilize strong dynamic contrast and heavy doom, a distinct quality.

Stoner Witch, 1994

Experimentation became very prevalent with this album, signaling the dawn of a new era. Dynamics on point like never before, with subdued blues inspired bits infused with some of the meatiest riffs the world has to offer. At the Stake is a prime contender for heaviest song ever.

Honky, 1997

At this point ambiance and atmosphere had been given more strength, and furthered the dynamic mastery of the Melvins ever eclectic delivery. Minimalism and that grew to a notable quality, with thin passages of dark and distant soundscapes. Mombius Hibachi and Lovely Butterfly were two choice cuts of my dad, and are quite bombastic.

The Bootlicker, 1999

Here we are with another menacingly mesmerizing endeavor. Let it All Be is a track that I'm outrageously enamored with, a long, minimalistic, subtly, repetitive yet ever changing skeleton of music.

Freak Puke, 2012

Dark horse pick from modern Melvins. I listened to this a lot when it came out. It grabbed me in a way I don't quite understand. Metal is nearly absent in a traditional sense, but something about the elements bring it out. This one's one of their most mellow and nonabrasive, featuring Trevor Dunn on standup bass, which really brought an indescribable atmosphere and style.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote