Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 04:35 AM   #11107 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

I always take criticisms of remakes and reboots with a grain of salt. Nobody ever wants to review them fairly. It's always either "10/10 perfect, ty for making my nostalgia fresh" or "1/10 how dare you **** with my precious memories."

A remake can be tightened considerably, improved on nearly every level, given a few twists to mix things up for the old fans who have memorized everything, and ultimately crafted by a better company that cares way more about the product (and the charm shows throw in spades), but people will always find something to complain about, usually resorting to the cheap shot of "it just doesn't have soul, man."

And yet I've felt that same way before. Wild ARMs can be pretty flawed, but it had way more life to it than the PS2 remake, Alter Code F. Adorable sprites and chibi-style polygons, bigger towns with more NPCs, super bizarre monster designs, and very strange sound clips (for some reason, goblins make cat noises when they get hit), and way way better music.

But on the flip side, I'd always heard that the original RE was the superior game. When I finally tried the REmake, it absolutely destroys the original in a way that almost totally makes it obsolete as anything but a fun curiosity. Because it's the game that RE was always supposed to be, made by people who wanted to do justice not only to the series but survival horror games in general. I still pop in the original for a laugh every now and then (dat voice acting, oof), but unless you really have some sort of emotional connection to it, or just straight up have a thing for the PSX era and its numerous issues (which is fine), it's almost a waste of time to not just be playing the REmake instead. That's how much better it is.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just felt like talkin' 'bout games. I haven't played the original Tomb Raider nor Anniversary, but after the awesomeness of Legend, I think I'm gonna give both a shot. I've heard about the clunkiness of the first, but that don't confront me none. I grew up with a SNES, where picking up games at Blockbuster or wherever was like playing russian roulette with my weekend. ****ing Wizard of Oz. I laughed so hard when the AVGN reviewed that piece of ****, 'cause I got stuck with it back in the day (and still own a copy, god knows why).
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote