Music Banter - View Single Post - MB's Own November Midterm Election
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default MB's Own November Midterm Election

The real November 6 election day is still about a week away, but early voting has already been going on apace across the USA, so I thought that this might be the appropriate time to open our very own Midterm Election Poll.

In the midterms, all the seats of the House of Representatives are up for grabs, and various other officials too, depending on which state you are in, as Wiki explains:-
Quote:
Midterm elections in the United States are the general elections held in November every four years, near the midpoint of a president's four-year term of office. Federal offices that are up for election during the midterms are members of the United States Congress, including all 435 seats in the United States House of Representatives, and 33 or 34 of the 100 seats in the United States Senate.

In addition, 34 of the 50 U.S. states elect their governors to four-year terms during midterm elections, while Vermont and New Hampshire elect governors to two-year terms in both midterm and presidential elections. Thus, 36 governors are elected during midterm elections. Many states also elect officers to their state legislatures in midterm years. There are also elections held at the municipal level. On the ballot are many mayors, other local public offices, and a wide variety of citizen initiatives.

Special elections are often held in conjunction with regular elections, so additional Senators, governors and other local officials may be elected to partial terms.
It's the Senate and House races that are drawing the most media coverage of course, but in these partisan days local government appointments are significant too. Here is John Oliver to help us understand something about issues at a local level:-

It's difficult to convert all these seat-by-seat, state-by-state options into an MB poll, so copying some MSM prognosticators, I'm using the terms "Generic Dem/Rep Candidate" and hope that our rather imprecise polling will generate a result of interest. As with other election polls I've opened, voters identities won't be revealed, but of course anyone is welcome to comment/confess especially if you've voted "other."

And of course, let's keep this thread civil.