Music Banter - View Single Post - MB's Own November Midterm Election
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #41 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Doesn't $50mil exist outside the US where products/services can be sold? Unless I'm missing something you'd only be correct if it was a closed system.
^ To me the most doubtful element in [MERIT]'s model is the bit in bold below:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MERIT] View Post
Say that a country wants to put $1 BILLION into circulation. Well, they decided to let a privately owned, non-government institution print that $1 BILLION. Does that privately-owned, non-government institution just give the money to the country? NO! They lend it to them, at interest, say 5% [or any arbitrary number].

So, there is now $1 BILLION in circulation, but that country is now in debt, owing $1,050,000,000.
^ I don't think that any country in the world pays their printers $100 every time they print a $100 bill. I imagine that printing charges are related to printing costs, not, as [MERIT] suggests, the face value of what they print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MERIT] View Post
I walked 3 miles each way the last time I went to vote. I didn't complain.
^ That's very commendable! Well done. When I've voted, it's almost always been in the local Public Library or a school that's been commandeered for the purpose = a ten-min stroll out of my way as I walk between station and house on my way home from work. A pretty agreeable way to assert your civic rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
It seems to me that some people on the right exaggerate and hype up "voter fraud" for their own benefit as much as some people on the left exaggerate and hype up "voter suppression" for their own benefit.

I don't trust either side of the political coin on either issue.
^ Yes, Psy-Fi, it all became a partisan issue when Trump claimed that 3 million people fraudulently voted in 2016. ( No evidence to support this has been found despite a Trump-ordered govmnt investigation. ) And as marginalized citizens are more likely to vote Democrat, there is an unmistakeable bias to all the voter registration arguments.

None the less, the weight of evidence seems to support the Dem position: thousands of voters are being discouraged by Republican governors as against dozens of voter-fraud cases. Plus, which side should we be on? The side that says facilities should be available so that every citizen can vote without let or hinderance, or the side that puts up geographical or bureaucratic obstacles that make voting difficult? As one Dem succinctly put it, "If a candidate is making it difficult for people to vote, you shouldn't vote for him."