Music Banter - View Single Post - MicShazam will listen to anything.
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #123 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Soundcloud link didn't work for me. Kept playing just the first few seconds, then jumping to a track by another artist. Found it on Youtube instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlLLXchYuD4

Yeah... You're starting to figure me out, at least as far as hip hop goes

This dude has got a really good singing/rapping voice and I like the way he sings and raps in this really fluid way where it all just melds together. This track is mellow and moody, but not boring. It's expressive, colourful and oh man do I love the way it plays those deep, beautiful bass notes. Some really great, subtle things going on in the backing track as well.

Top marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
OP, check out this epic!

This album opens with LaBrie of Dream Theater fame and some pretty Lord of the Rings flutes. Says it all, really.

Cheesy music and vocal performances and I hate prog and yadda yadda yadda. I'm gonna try to say something new, so I'll stick to observations about anything I haven't said about Ayreon before.

* The album is mixed in a way that sounds relatively punchy and full bodied. Reminds me a bit of how all sorts of European prog metal and symphonic metal albums sounded though. Not sure what parts it comes down to, but it does remind me of the sound of Epica albums and various other things in that vague direction. Also partially because of guitar tones.

* Lucassen has a penchant for hiring just the metal vocalists that I don't like. Put them all on the same album and something interesting might just happen! All that's missing is Matt Barlow.

* I feel like all albums I like have some kind of atmosphere/vibe going on that I get into. Pretty much without exception. This album has none. It feels somehow squeaky clean. Like surgical equipment.

* Some fat bass guitar going on now and then, of which I approve.

* Why is it that, when prog metal bands do folk music, it's so bad that I feel offended as a folk music fan? There's some celtic type stuff going on here in certain spots and it's a super shallow interpretation of the style. It's like every time Nightwish does it. It turns into this really lame spa/relaxation CD version of folk music.

* One and a half hours long. ONE AND A HALF HOURS LONG! AAAAAAHHH!!

Sorry, I tried
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote