Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #6303 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
I was lying in bed trying to conceive my next project and the title of a book manifested in my mind - I Am a Strange Loop by Douglas R Hofstadter. I never made it through his epic 1979 tome, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid as I am not equipped with the necessary mathematical knowledge to grasp it, (specifically propositional calculus), but Strange Loop's exploration of the nature of consciousness seemed like it might be more palatable for me.

Strange Loop opens with a proposed Socratic dialog Hofstadter drafted as a teen, and I was instantly captivated. This should be a rewarding read.

Do you ever enjoy reading things you don’t understand

like Joyce or whatever - like this insanity is spewing out but you’re only catching a small fraction of it but like who cares?

Sometimes I’m reading something and I’m like wtf I’m so ****ing lost!!!!But then when I’m finished I read about what I just read and it turns out I understood more than I thought.

You seem like the type that would really want to fully understand whatever you read. Sometimes I’m just reading lazily and then I get lost or miss something important, obviously that’s a bad reading habit but I also think you can go too far the other way. As in being overly meticulous about understanding.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote