Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #15066 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

Default New York Lawmakers Want Social Media History To Be Included In Gun Background Checks

Quote:
Eric Adams, the president of Brooklyn Borough, and state Senator Kevin Palmer are currently writing the proposed legislation, which would give law enforcement authorities the power to check up to three years of an individual’s social media accounts and internet search history before they are allowed to buy a gun,

“If there’s something that a law enforcement officer of a reasonable mind reviewed that shows this person does not hold the mental capacity to own a gun, then he should not be able to get a permit. We should use the same standard that determines whether a police officer can carry a gun.”
This would require you to hand over the passwords of your social media accounts to authorities. That is unreasonable search and seizure, in my opinion, which violates the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, let alone the blatant violation of the 2nd Amendment's right to bear arms.

It also leaves it up to the personal disgression of an un-elected official.

New York is f*cked up. We know that when you cram 10 million people into a city, there are going to be problems. The bad guys will ALWAYS find a way to get firearms [homemade, stealing, etc.], so why keep making it harder for the good guys to bear arms? I realize that we don't want every nutjob with a mental disorder to have a gun, but law enforcement should not be the ones to deem a civilian fit or unfit to own a firearm.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote