Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #27116 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma & Greg View Post
I feel like our differences in pop are basically the same as our differences in metal and illustrates a lot of the stupid stances on pop that so many people (men) have. You don't have much of an ear for aggression in metal and also don't seem to have much of an ear for bombass club thumping pop whereas both are what I'm about, and I think our differences kind of show that both aspects of those genres are actually really linked. I mean Slayer killing your eardrums really isn't all that different from Ke$ha killing the dance floor when you really think about it. It's just energy.
I have a tendency to like pop albums with some layered production and maybe often a slightly melancholy undertone. I've noticed that my favorite pop albums are not really the most bright sounding ones. I love a moody pop album like Kylie's Fever, for example. That one is like the ideal pop album for me, pretty much. Body Language being close behind, and that album has a lot of details in the production that really give it some flavor with repeat listens. Variety, layered music, synths and vocal performances with some personality and nuance. Hooks are still very important, of course. It's pop.

Charli XCX is pretty straight to the point though, and I like the two albums I have with her.

But yeah, I think I don't think there's that far from catchy, energetic thrash to catchy, energetic pop. If you think about it, much thrash is centered around a succession of shameless hooks. It's just that those hooks come in the form of riffs.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote