Music Banter - View Single Post - The Spam Thread: Channel Your Need to Spam Here Only
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #21167 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
The engine I'm using is a game creation program (MegaZeux) that dates back to the early 90's, where it ran in MS-DOS. It's still got a small internet community going (vault.digitalmzx.net) and every few months or so, a new updated version comes out for modern Windows. It's open source.

It's a limited engine in many, many ways, but it's fun to work in and requires no compiling. I can press ALT+T inside the editor and test my current screen right then and there. It's super nice to work with. There's absolutely no commercial prospects for a game made in this engine, probably, but it's a really fun hobby, since it really takes away the need for tedious debugging and such. I mean, I'm still coding stuff inside the engine in an engine-specific language called Robotic, but it's simple and pretty much something anyone who has the interest could learn.

I'm hoping to upload a version with some more actual gameplay in December somewhere. But it's very much a playable game at this point. It even runs pretty bug-free as far as I know.
I cut a lot of teeth with MS-DOS and AutoCAD, manipulating config.sys on a 386 and all that malarkey. They've understandably come a LONG way, but someone like me just loves the nostalgia (I just used this word), since it brings me back to the days of some of the first RPG's like Leisure Suit Larry, Pool of Radiance (D&D), and a few others. Looking forward to you putting it out there.