Music Banter - View Single Post - Movies You Should Know Because (I Think) They rule
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

A closer look at...

Diabeł, 1972

Director Andrzej Żuławski would probably be more renowned for the 1981 cult classic Possession, but a decade before he bestowed upon us this historical horror masterpiece, and believe me when I say it's quite literally one of the most insane movies I've seen. I'd describe it ass a cross between Possession and Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre despite coming out at least ten years before either.

After watching this and Possession, a distinct cinematic style is apparent, making heavy use of panicked camera work and frantic panoramas. This film has a darker quality to it though, considering the historical/folk aspect. Sets are sparse and desperate with a whole lotta candles. All brought together with an acid drenched soundtrack full of squealing guitar, Diabeł is as insane stylistically as it is thematically.

The goofy (for lack of a better term,) elements of mania come and go in an oddly natural and fluid fashion, making the traveling circus and jaw harp playing midgets and whatnot seem like the norm around these parts, rather than deliberately psychotic miscellanea. I've seen a lot of people saying it's too slow, and I don't get that at all as I found it madly intense from the start. I think it's a hugely enthralling and watchable film that is at the same time utterly deranged and unhinged. Psychologically nerve wracking the whole way.

If you're a Possession fan, then there's no reason you wouldn't love this.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote