Music Banter - View Single Post - Which scales do you use?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #33 (permalink)
SmokeAndMirrors
Music Addict

C# Minor, B Blues Minor, Pentatonic, Phrygian dominant, C Major/A Minor, and the Chromatic scale. it really kind of depends on which tuning I'm in and which way I'm approaching sound. I favor minor over major because the progression just sounds more rounded to me rather than sharply pronounced. But I'll do weird things, like crescendos through minor scales, and decrescendos through major scales, because I like that mellow roundness for progression. I can write in major progressions and scales just as well, but I optionally prefer not to because they feel much more defined and what I try to express musically and creatively is my fascination with the idea of fear of the unknown, or unknown horrors.

I'm also a big H.P. Lovecraft fan, and when I was in my college years I used to do a lot of LSD and smoke a lot of marijuana, so I try to find the in between for sound between psychedelic trippy stuff, drone, and black metal. I know I hit the nail on the head when the sound that comes out, raises a reaction out of me.

Technically speaking it's probably "Musical Wrongness" but, that's also kind of what I want it to sound like: The Thing That Should Not Be. Basically, if I come up with something that creeps even me out, I run with it. Theory helps, but it also imposes a challenge. Not a challenge of learning, but instead the challenge of dissonance and abstract thinking for something along the lines of what I'm trying to musically portray, so I try to keep a balance between using it as a utility, and also thinking outside the box of it at the same time.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-27-2018 at 06:49 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote