Music Banter - View Single Post - Movies You Should Know Because (I Think) They rule
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

Nowhere, 1997

Before the gut wrenching Mysterious Skin, Gregg Araki had his "Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy" which also includes Totally ****ed Up and the Doom Generation, but [b]Nowhere is the shining star. It's a coming of age tale like no other. It's also edgy and angsty almost to the point of physical injury. I could definitely see people calling it cringe material and I might too, but that's what makes it what it is. It is alternative personified.

Centered around a handful of mostly queer youths and their kickass 1997 party, Nowhere offers heavy doses of awkward comedy, an alternative/electro/shoegaze soundtrack, and some really imaginative sets if you ask me. Everyone's respective bedroom is decked to the nines in what the hell. But for all the jokes and ecstasy and anorexia and Christina Applegate with braces, it also comes packed with a good deal of uncomfortable and ****ed moments (though not nearly on the level of Mysterious Skin). Then at the end of the day and the parties over, after all the depravity, youthful angst prevails and it's like nothing was a big deal even though everything was a massive deal

Life's just whack innit

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote