Music Banter - View Single Post - Movies You Should Know Because (I Think) They rule
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

The Andromeda Strain, 1971

I have to admit I wasn't expecting such a psychologically thrilling endeavor when I decided to watch this. The Andromeda Strain is a spectacular piece of sci-fi history and a generally tense feat.

The sets are notably next level. Always interesting to note the aesthetics of retro science fiction compared to modern stuff, both a little distant from each other on the spectrum. I suppose it's obvious, though, seeing as older stuff is based more on imagination without being aware of modern technology. This gives the visuals a kind of unorthodox personality as opposed to a "look at this insane ****ing machine" personality.

The Andromeda Strain follows the spread of the peculiar titular virus. It's the microscopic shots of cell division and the observation thereof that offer extreme paranoia and tension. It's so simple but so effective. I'd go as far as to say there's a little dash of horror in here. Surely the advancement of a never before seen malignant germ that can powderize your blood is a scary thing, and the study of said germ is nerve wracking.

If I had to make a complaint, I'd say I found the ending kinda lackluster after that buildup of epic proportions. We get so deep then it just kinda fizzles away, like shaking up a bottle of soda only to watch it go flat without ever breaking the seal. That's a minor gripe, though. As it stands, the conclusion is still subtly bothersome (in a good way).

Sci-fi suspense fans come here.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote