Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #22432 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Winter Sleep

Director: Nuri Bilge Ceylan
Genre: Drama
Year: 2014
Running time: 3 hours and 5 minutes

Been putting this one off for a long time. I mean, look at the run time ffs!
Turned out to be a really interesting movie. It's 99% dialogue driven and so gripping that the 3 hours almost fly by if you're in the right sort of focused mindset when you watch it.

I'm not gonna bother with any kind of synopsis. We've got IMDB for that: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2758880/

Basically, the movie is incredibly beautiful to look at, superbly acted and finds a balance between the serious and the humorous. It also manages to be a somewhat patient movie, without ever feeling slow. Don't fear for long passages of nothing happening, because the movie has none of those. But individual scenes do tend to be very long. If two of the characters sit down to talk, don't expect the scene to end for the next 10-20 minutes.

I thought the dialogue in the movie was incredibly realistic. It really captures how people miscommunicate, hold grudges and fail to really see their own behavior for what it is. The entire plot is centered around the slow development of one arrogant man who dismisses the idea that he's doing anything wrong and belives his self delusion to be self insight. But don't think that it's a pretentious film. It just understands humans very well and takes a long time being incredibly observant about it.

Much recommended. Mondo would probably dig it.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote