Music Banter - View Single Post - The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 05:23 AM   #254 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Who likes charts and graphs? I do, because they give an instant impression of how things stand. I'm often fed up by news progs that will rattle of a bunch of statistics, but won't show a diagram or a map. It's as if a memo was sent round to all the news progs: Don't show diagrams or your viewers will swap channel. Does that bug anyone else, I wonder?

Anyway, this is a link to some charts showing facts and figures about global warming:- https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46384067

To a lot of us, it's more confirmatory than revelatory, but here are a couple of items that I found interesting:-

Graph #3: we are way off track for any kind of temp control
Graph #4: the world's big four culprits of greenhouse gas emission. (Though even I notice that by dividing Europe into its constituent countries, my home continent comes off as innocent on all counts.)
Graph #7: how we can help includes this advice:-
Quote:
Scientists say we all have to make "rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes" to our lifestyles, in order to avoid severely damaging climate change.

The IPCC says we need to: buy less meat, milk, cheese and butter; eat more locally sourced seasonal food - and throw less of it away; drive electric cars but walk or cycle short distances; take trains and buses instead of planes; use videoconferencing instead of business travel; use a washing line instead of a tumble dryer; insulate homes; demand low carbon in every consumer product.

The single biggest way to reduce your environmental impact on the planet is to modify your diet to include less meat - according to recent studies.