Music Banter - View Single Post - Trite sayings that people think are profound.
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #159 (permalink)
windsock
Softest Bullet Ever Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That's a silly assumption. Why would they remove all that they find meaningless, as a way to create meaning when they've already recognized life and everything around them as meaningless?
I find it silly as well, thus why I don't agree with it. I was mostly playing devil's advocate.

Quote:
You're equating nihilism with defeatism again. The "true nihilist" is simply someone who recognizes the meaninglessness of the universe. There's no moral code attached to it in the same way that there isn't an inherent moral code attached to climate science. It's a base observation, where you take it is on you.

Your description of nihilism as a "base observation" ties into what I've been saying this whole time: nihilism is on a philosophically pessimistic spectrum. The degree to which you observe meaninglessness dictates what kind of nihilist you are, and I would argue that a "true nihilist" could easily devolve into a defeatist, I'll never say they're the same thing. I've made clear that most nihilists still make an effort to progress as an individual for their own reasons, because many of them have recognized the beauty in their own existence despite there being no higher purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I don't want to rec you anything, I want you to stop posting actually
windsock is offline   Reply With Quote