Music Banter - View Single Post - Which Guitalele?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

If I was looking to buy another instrument, something other than a six string guitar it wouldn't be a six string ukulele. It doesn't make my top ten list of what I think would be cool instruments to own. I would rather buy (in no particular ranking order) a bouzouki, guitarra portuguesa, cuatro, balalaika, banjolele, country mountain dulcimer, auto harp, or five string banjo; lower down on the list would be the tenor acoustic guitar or six string banjo. I think any of them would be a better choice than a guitar shrunken to the size of a ukulele. The strings on a six string ukekeles look so crammed together it seems near impossible to play. I can't recommend something I don't care for, nor have a good opinion about it.

If you're seriously thinking about getting a six string rather than choosing the ones set up like a guitar, think about getting the Lanikai ACST-6CET or Lanikai O-6. They have six strings, but what's special about these ukuleles is how they're set up with single-double-single-double strings. The nice thing about that is you get to keep all the fingering you know from playing the ukulele. Another nice alternative that you can immediately transfer your ukulele knowledge over to is the Banjolele.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 12-04-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote