Music Banter - View Single Post - Through The Eyes of a Cat
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Key

Why is Cats With Hats a thing?

Well, there's a few reasons for it. But before I get into that, I would like to just throw out there again that I don't treat this like some little thing that i'm doing on the side. I actually put a lot of passion into making the music, and it's definitely one of the more important things in my life right now. Now with that said, that's basically the first reason as to why I decided to make Cats With Hats a thing. I wanted something to ease my creative needs, due to my gradual distaste for writing. The other reason is because I was listening to other members music like Frownland and Mondo Bungle and I realized that I could also do this. I could make something memorable and interesting and something that people would or wouldn't want to listen to. I gravitated more towards the sounds that Mondo was making because I just felt a better connection there. Frownland has his own thing and even if I don't like his music or much of him as a person, I still give him a lot of respect for doing something creative and continuing to be successful at it. Definitely worth mentioning for sure. The dedication to his own craft is pretty significant. When it came down to deciding on the kind of music I want to make, I settled on the more noise / ambient variety, though I don't necessarily stick to that all the time.

Then it came to creating a project. And though I've created several before (#####, Psychephilia), I've never felt a deeper connection to a project than with Cats With Hats. Could be that it simply has cats in the title, or I don't know. But something different comes into play when I make music for this project. It feels more beneficial in a way because I'm basically just making whatever the hell I think sounds good. And then just putting it on an album.

It's a fun thing to just sit down at the computer and think of something you want to make, then being able to put that into a form of music is also really fun. I enjoy doing this and will probably continue to release new material under this name for quite some time. It feels to me like it's a perfect fit and I want the music to show that.

Here's a song from my old Psychephilia project: Atmospheric Spaceships
Key is offline   Reply With Quote