Music Banter - View Single Post - Musical Visuals And Different Ways Of Experiencing Music
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
SmokeAndMirrors
Music Addict

Default Musical Visuals And Different Ways Of Experiencing Music

Does anybody ever intentionally alter their atmosphere while listening to music, rather than just having it on in the background? I've always kind of done it the other way around, music is usually my foreground, or at least one of the main centers of my attention.

When I was a kid, I would close my eyes to listen to music a lot. Because it produced a sort of closed-eye visual experience for me, kind of putting me aloft into my own world for a bit. This was earliest done I think before I was even 10, predominately during classical recordings in my elementary school.

The weird thing is, that I continued this practice, and still pretty much do today, almost as an instinct. I never, actually questioned it before. The only other people I've ever really met that did this were either other musicians, and/or people in an altered state of consciousness.

I've always liked sound to be an immersive experience.

Does anybody else drop themselves out into sound like this? And if so, is it something you do cognitively, or more nearly instinctually like you don't really realize that's what you're doing?