Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

^ An absolute stunner for sure!

22. Palest Hue - City Underground

Genre(s): Psychedelia, Paisley Underground, "Laurel Canyon" Pop, Acid Rock

Sounds Like: Gordon Lightfoot, Fleetwood Mac (1968 - '73) The Doors, Brian Auger's Oblivion Express

These guys are so deep underground you'd have to get a bulldozer to drag them out of the mausoleum. Released to little fanfare earlier this year, I only discovered this remarkably groovy debut thanks to windsock on another thread, and since that point I find myself returning to it's strange, affecting atmosphere often. It sounds both like and so unlike anything that's out there that it's hard to pin down their exact musical coordinates. The singer is the easiest reference point for me - he's the long lost cousin of both Jim Morrison and Gordon Lightfoot, and his wistful, soulful approach to these cavernous little pieces is quite something to behear. While the best 'hook' of the album is reserved for opener "Maybe In Time', there's also touches of Tropicalia and the darkness of early 70's acid folk seeped into the DNA of 'On The Corner' and even a little early Chicago (sans horn section) punch to closer 'She Waits'.

Phenomenally moody yet crackling with underlying energy, these guys have amazing potential and I think this is just a taste of what's to come.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote