Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

OccultHawk: Larry Heard has a long n' diverse body of work, ranging from late 80's Talk Talk levels of experimentation to poppy Aphex Twin / Paul Hardcastle territory...so it can be a bit of a game to see what side of him works "best" for you. This particular album has him indulging a bit of both, so I'm glad you liked some of it.

Zhanteimi and windsock: TBH I don't really agree with Sophie's life choices and I think the album is a weird listen. But it's still interesting and this list is a mix of albums I really loved / albums I thought stood out to me in some way.

Anyhoo...

20. VOLA - Applause Of A Distant Crowd

Genre(s): Progressive Metal / Synth-Pop

Sounds Like: Mew, Voyager, Karnivool, The Pineapple Thief, early A-ha

A rising star in Denmark's rock and metal world, and for good reason: this is some stadium class songwriting that should put them up there with the big boys. The modern rock pleb in me loves this overall sound they craft: like one of those modern groovy Australian groups with an unmistakably talented new Romantic-styled vocalist who really brings the melody. Their biggest influence is definitely Mew, but their focus is heavier, almost djent-ish at times but without the grating production.

The biggest standout here upon first listen is 'Alien Shivers', which has a ridiculously well constructed groove and hook that puts it into instant earworm territory when that magical chorus hits. Like their Aussie cousins Voyager, they have a knack for synth lines - second cut 'Ghosts' sparkles off the speakers and the title track brims with a Balearic, almost shoegaze-ish progression. That's not to say there aren't some legitimate metal cuts here - 'Smartfriend' has a juicy, classic Meshuggah stomp to it and 'Whaler' brings in some cool Middle Eastern styled melodies with its sludgey main riff.

There are a few others on the melodic rock / metal / prog spectrum I really enjoyed this year, but VOLA's sophomore outing stood out as an early AOTY contender and remained as such the more I listened to it. Highly recommended.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-10-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote