Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 05:40 AM   #15839 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/m...host-ship.html

Quote:
FEATURE

He Helped Build an Artists’ Utopia. Now He Faces Trial for 36 Deaths There.
Max Harris did chores and collected rent at the artists’ warehouse where he lived. Now he faces trial for the deaths at a concert there — including some of his close friends.
This is a long read but imo really interesting.

In my twenties I spent a fair amount of time in punk spaces and we never thought twice about fire safety. Band practice spaces turned into makeshift live venues.

When you go into an underground setting or “club” isn’t it understood that there’s an element of danger? That you’re shedding some of the sheltering and safety of suburbia for something more wild and free? I feel like everyone who went to that show was looking for something wild and authentic. Danger is part of the attraction. I don’t think anyone should be punished for their deaths because they knew the place was an underground art collective space in Oakland and if you mess with bull sometimes you get the horns. If they wanted an experience that was up to code they should’ve gone to Olive Garden.

Secondly, and this a totally non sequitur observation, but does the art jock alpha personalities of the people who live in these collectives bother anyone? They don’t seem equalitarian and alternative; they seem like competitive fashion bitches simply doing the society thing on a different scale. Maybe that’s an unavoidable byproduct of how high the rent has risen in the big cities.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote