Music Banter - View Single Post - Official MMA Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #209 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

► Ben Askren's UFC debut against Robbie Lawler has been rescheduled for UFC 235 on March 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Rez View Post
Thats what changes the fight to the strikers advantage in a way that doesnt happen in the real world though. In an actual fight you throw a bomb at someone and dont knock them out you have a very real risk of breaking your hand, which will probably **** your chances of finishing that fight successfully. Without gloves fighters are not suffering huge amount of brain damage due to the puncher being able to continuously throw without nearly as much fear of breaking bones.
Id rather some people break their hands because they threw a punch rather than everyone get brain damage. I mean look at boxers, they non stop get punched in the hed with big 16 oz gloves. They have more brain damage than anyone.
Well, MMA has evolved from just trying to figure out which style reigns supreme, to a year-round sport. When you're a professional fighter paying $20,000 for a 6-month training camp and a fight can get canceled for a broken hand, leaving you unable to provide for your family, you'll thank your lucky stars for some nice gloves.

I get what you're saying about how it can change the dynamic of a fight, but that's what differentiates it from being human cockfighting.

You also said earlier that you wanted to change the rules about kicks to a downed opponent. I'm assuming that you were referring to head kicks? That could cause some serious brain damage as well. I cringe just thinking about the soccer kicks and head stomps that some organizations allow[ed].

If I ran my own MMA promotion, here's some things I would change:

- Champions cannot fight outside of their weight division. As a champion, their duty and loyalty should be to that division, and that division only.

- Do away with rounds; just fights with time limits. Say, 20 minutes for regular fights and 30 minutes for title fights and main events.

- Bring back the referee cam [best seat in the house!].

- Bring back 1-night tournaments [maybe once or twice a year].

- Let the fighters unionize.

- No kicks to the head of a downed opponent, but you can 12-to-6 elbow all fucking day if you want.

- Have an amateur MMA promotion under the same banner to serve as a breeding ground for home-grown talent.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote