Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

14. Subsignal - La Muerta

Genre(s): "Post-prog"

Sounds Like: Seiges Even, Rush, Saga, Mansun

A nu-prog band with a penchant for rich arrangements, Subsignal have been tearing it up for a few albums now...but I gotta hand it to La Muerta: this thing's got some serious hooks in the warehouse. Enough to hang every every ham and slab of beef with room to spare, in fact. Lustrous electronic elements are juxtaposed against these guitar/synth concoctions, with the grand prize for prime melody going to the title cut, the anthemic 'The Bells Of Lyonesse' and the super sugary but engaging 'Even Though The Stars Don't Shine', which is as good a feelgood single as anything you might hope for in 2018.

The "Subsignal sound" is probably overall best described as a more contemporary Permanent Waves-era Rush with a different melodic sensibility, spearheaded by Arno Menses's strident, world-class vocals that elevate the material to heights it might not otherwise reach. If you hate prog then this album probably won't change your mind, but if you want to try something a little different then this is just what the doctor ordered.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-18-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote