Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #50 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

^ I'm surprised he made it to my final list, but I'm a total softie when it comes to those synths. Makes me want rev up To Live And Die In L.A. or Black Rain on queue and let the music playyyy.

13. Sigh - Heir To Despair

Genre(s): Avant-garde Extreme Metal

Sounds Like: Sadist, Ruins, Massive Attack, Mr. Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Besides having the best album cover I've seen this year, Sigh have definitely taken a stranger turn than usual for their latest opus, which IMO is the best thing they've done since their legendary 2001 release Imaginary Sonicscape. While not as zany or spastic, they explore a mindboggling array of sounds and ideas in the course of nine songs, including Acid Mothers Temple-esque psychedelia on opener 'Aletheia' and what sounds like mid 90's trip-hop with a claustrophobic, haunted-house Rob Zombie vibe on 'Heresy I: Oblivium'. Bonkers as all hell, but so off the wall that it really sicks with you long after the album comes to an end. And there's no shortage of amazing riffs either, complete with early thrash sounding leads at times. And flute. Lots of flute.

To me, Sigh has always been something like a singularity in metal: a black hole of uniqueness that swallow up anything and everything if it's usable to them compositionally. Heir To Despair stands out as one 2018's most singular releases for sure and a big feather in their cap. I look forward to what they do next...

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote