Music Banter - View Single Post - How would you describe Pixies?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 05:10 AM   #42 (permalink)
Black Francis
Out of Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantic Debaser View Post
I HEARD SOMEBODY TALKIN SHIET

Nah, but seriously tho, what more do you really want, they are basically a punk band with some influence from Surf Rock & Latin-american music plus weird lyrics about incest'n'sh*t. And then aliens.
Don't push yourself to try to like them, though. If you dig it you do, and if you don't, you don't. Maybe abandon it for a while and then come back to it later?

Funny how when I joined here I would've been ecstatic to see such a long discussion about Pixies, but now I'm just kind of lukewarm. Still love 'em but I re-visit their albums pretty rarely these days.
Ma dude.

I feel the same. They did what they did and it was great but that sht is done so you move on. When i exhausted the pixies i moved on to the breeders and the amps and frank's solo albums and the ones with the Catholics and that was all good too but nothing worth over hyping.

Although as a Frank fan i gotta say, teenager of the year and dog in the sand are great records that barely get any recognition. At least around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofsyrinx2112 View Post
I watched an interview with Black Francis saying that Pixies doesn't really have style. They just play and play until something sound's cool. Do you think that this is an accurate depiction? Does Pixies have no style?
Frank said in the gouge doc, they didnt invent their style, they just stumbled upon it and thought it worked for them but they did have a style and formula Thats fairly ez to recreate

When i first started to get really into the pixies i had no frame of reference for their style, especially the vocal style of Francis but nowadays i think his spoken word stuff is derivative of dylan and his mannerisms and little psychotic outburst in moments wild man fischer did a long time ago

Also my take for the style of their albums is

Come on pilgrim/ Surfer Rosa = Folk horror punk, alt
Doolittle = mainly alt
Bossanova = Surf rock, alt
Trompe le monde= Bland alt (though it has a few good tracks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
I listened to one Pixies track at the recommendation of Black Francis, so I would describe them as Black Francis's favourite band. Hope that helps, OP
Hey cmon! I showed you motorway to Roswell, thats a good song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote