Music Banter - View Single Post - MicShazam will listen to anything.
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #203 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Nah, you just aren't consistent. That's what baffles me a bit about you. You'll praise the living hell out of generic female singer-songwriter stuff (including Tzuke's blander early 80's material) but you can't find anything you like in a 40+ year career from the band that backed Michael Jackson on Thriller, have collectively played on thousands of albums and are regarded as some of the best musicians on the planet.

To give you a bit of context: I used to mess with Urban Hatemonger (and elphenor today) about The Fall, but I recognize their good points and ingenuity (some albums are stronger than others ofc). But you can't tell me you can't listen to Toto circa 2006 on Falling In Between and tell me they aren't trying new things that they weren't doing in their early 80's period. Metal, blues rock, reggae: they've been busy bees.
I can appreciate what you're trying to say here, but the whole point of the longer post I made previously was to point out that what I like about varyious artists and dislike about various artists is not so easy to pinpoint. Your assertion that early Judie Tzuke is "bland" couldn't be further from my experience of that same music. I like it exactly because I think it has something very special going on that places it above so much from the same era. Toto, on the other hand, don't manage to break through and reach deeper inside my heart and mind. They may well be popular and respected and have some grasp of a variety of genres, but it would seem that your view of music appreciation is simple and unrealistic if you think that means I ought to like it. What, because Toto is more well known, professional and successful than Judie Tzuke, they're better and I just somehow got it wrong? That's now how music works my friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
As someone who has been here for about 10 years (give or take a month), I think you should take people's recommendations and explore them if someone thinks they are worth your time, and be a bit more engaging about this whole process. That's how you'll get a better grasp on where the limits of your tastes actually are.
It's obvious to me that my view of what's good or not holds no weight in here, but I don't actually think that having been on a music forum buys you some sort of wise old guru status where I should take your opinion more seriously for it. The proper context for your recommendations is not how long you've been on this forum, but simply how much I've tended to like what you've posted before.

And don't assume that I don't return to bands. Returning to things again and again over the years to give second, third, fourth and fifth chances are kind of a thing I do all the time.

Last edited by MicShazam; 12-28-2018 at 01:39 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote