Music Banter - View Single Post - MicShazam will listen to anything.
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #210 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I can appreciate what you're trying to say here, but the whole point of the longer post I made previously was to point out that what I like about varyious artists and dislike about various artists is not so easy to pinpoint. Your assertion that early Judie Tzuke is "bland" couldn't be further from my experience of that same music. I like it exactly because I think it has something very special going on that places it above so much from the same era. Toto, on the other hand, don't manage to break through and reach deeper inside my heart and mind. They may well be popular and respected and have some grasp of a variety of genres, but it would seem that your view of music appreciation is simple and unrealistic if you think that means I ought to like it. What, because Toto is more well known, professional and successful than Judie Tzuke, they're better and I just somehow got it wrong? That's now how music works my friend...

It's obvious to me that my view of what's good or not holds no weight in here, but I don't actually think that having been on a music forum buys you some sort of wise old guru status where I should take your opinion more seriously for it. The proper context for your recommendations is not how long you've been on this forum, but simply how much I've tended to like what you've posted before.

And don't assume that I don't return to bands. Returning to things again and again over the years to give second, third, fourth and fifth chances are kind of a thing I do all the time.
1. Fair enough on Tzuke. I just thought she aped her mentor Elton John's style a bit too much until 1989's Turning Stones, but that's a discussion for another day. She's a fan of Toto as well now that I think about it, atleast the first two albums.

2. I wasn't talking about popularity = quality. I'm saying you come off as dismissive. But like you said, maybe you'll come back to something in the future and change your mind. It's no big deal, but you should know what I'm talking about because you have experienced others not liking what you've shared for seemingly inscrutable reasons.

3. The longer you are here, the more you change. I hated soft rock, AOR and industrial-oriented drone before I came here: now they're all among my favorite genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
no I don't doubt UH was a Fall fanboy

your conciliatory tone towards The Fall reads as fake and convenient

that's just how I sees it
I think I take a more detached approach to music than you do by default. It isn't fake or convenient, but I can jump around decades of work and figure out where that sweet spot is. That's probably why I really enjoyed Grotesque at first listen but feel indifferent to some of their 90's stuff like The Marshall Suite even if I like the songwriting: I just prefer their older aesthetic and take longer to warm up to different eras.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-28-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote