Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #22616 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

Keep forgetting to post about The Favourite.

The first of Yorgos Lanthinmos' films which he didn't write himself, the roots of the original screenplay by Deborah Davis date back to the early 1990's. As with most films (and especially Lanthimos') I prefer to go in blind, so all I really knew to expect was Olivia Colman as Queen Anne. Ho-ly shit what a ride! I loooooove Olivia Colman in everything she does but my lord was she fan-fucking-tastic. Rachel Weisz as Sarah Churchill was a standout, so sharp and steely - always steps ahead. Emma Stone was great too, calculating and... ambitious? The three of them together was just *MUAH* great chemistry and so much depth to their relationships. Strong, dynamically written characters, you can never quite decide who to root for.

It was so different from other Lanthimos films, but still contained all the trademark bluntness, the instantaneous switch between absurdist comedy and raw, uncomfortable human experience, the stunning sets and cinematography. So, so good. Can't wait to watch it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote