Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #212 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
**** on it if you like. I'm sure that you'll hate the production.

Wolves in Sheepskin - Lizard of Ox
So I tried to get through this one yet again. Saying that it's not "doing it for me" would be an understatement.

The compositional approach is mostly that of having some instrument (standard or not) ramble away on it's own, with several more doing the same. Not so much creating a sense of any thought out coherence forming, as a sense of incidental relations forming between these musical layers. So, obviously, moments might form where something sounds interesting, novel or perhaps even moments of beauty of expression where what would have been a good idea forms all on it's own as a happy accident.

I could stop talking about the album itself right there and I guess I'm going to, because it is very relevant to remember that my musical tastes and musical perspective is as it is. I don't think you could pair many members on MB and find as big a gulf of separation as between the musical tastes of me and of Frown. If we created a complete list of absolutely all artists that we appreciate on any level, precious few would be shared between the two lists.

Be it classical, folk, metal, electronica, pop or blues - I ultimately listen to the music as compositions following a musical language of sorts. Bartók or Bebe Rexha = music with recognizable structures and clearly thought out and communicated ideas. Highly disciplined editing. Basically, I think that, in a way, to me, you could say that good composition is more about what you don't include than what you do. Select few strong ideas and develop them carefully. Music like what is found on this album is, in terms of the sheer amount of unique combinations of notes happening all the time, almost completely without a sense of ideas having been carefully edited and shaped - in that certain sense anyway. Remember that this isn't me saying that "this isn't music" or some such nonsense. I'm just trying to explain how my way of appreciating music aligns poorly with the perspective the music on this album comes from.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote