Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #71 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

2. Shmu - Lead Me To The Glow

Genre(s): Neo-psychedelia, Avant-pop, Dream Pop, Vaporwave

Sounds Like: early Mercury Rev, The Avalanches, Ariel Pink

Described by one of my Austin-locale friends as "Strawberry Jam Animal Collective on hard drugs", Shmu are a DIY fixture in the city and most definitely a strange duck. They avoid easy classification, blending experimental psych tendencies with vaporwave and postmodern electronic influences, lacing the whole thing with woozy melodies that keep everything from dissolving into complete primordial chaos.

Every song is a weird jewel, from the rollicking, coked up elevator synths of 'Hololeaps' to the capering off kilter sunshine poppin' title track. The closest they come to normalcy is the Krautrock flavored 'Rainbows' near the end of side 2, but it doesn't hold a candle to the blissful weirdness that permeates the rest of the cuts throughout.

As time goes by, the ante keeps going up for bands to build a sound that's truly theirs. So much has been done already that even leaving a real impression on someone can be difficult. So in light of all that, I can safely say that Shmu fit perfectly in a post-pop world where anything is possible and memes are quickly becoming the only language that really matters in the 21st century.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote