Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

1. Perfect Beings - Vier

Genre(s): Progressive Rock, Jazz-Fusion, Third Stream, Avant-garde, Power Pop

Sounds Like: Yes ('73 to '75), Jellyfish, Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Beatles, late 80's/early 90's Talk Talk

A contemporary, math rock/post-rock flavored successor to the best and most experimental phase of 70's Yes, the Los Angeles based Perfect Beings have pushed the envelope further and further into cosmic grandeur with each successive release, of which Vier is the 3rd. Structurally, it is a four-part album that sounds like a cousin to Tales From Topographic Oceans...but with a wider palette of ideas, including Third Stream classic orchestrations ('The Golden Arc'), synth pop flavored ambient ('Vibrational') and jazz-fusion flavored post rock with Lou Reed inspired guitar buzzsawing ('Anunnaki').

Everything I've written here honestly does the actual album experience a disservice: there's nothing else like Vier in prog over the last few years, and all four songs tie together and reference eachother with little melodies and cues, giving the whole thing the feeling of a suite of some sort. This is how prog should be: challenging, relevant, occasionally poppy yet somehow head scratching and encouraging repeat listens just to catch everything you hear.

In short, it is my favorite album of the year. Enjoy!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote