Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 11:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Key

I'm sitting here in the dark because there's no power at my house and probably won't be for a while. I have data on my phone and I was lucky to have been able to charge my phone today. My dad also bought a generator so things aren't as bad. I also was wondering what I could do with my time and I figured a journal entry is a pretty good use of my time. Now, what to talk about. Well, coincidentally there's been a topic I've been wanting to discuss and it was already slightly discussed here. Speedrunning. Yes, it talking about this amazing phenomenon that has grown to extraordinary lengths. So yeah, let's talk about it.

My first exposure to speed running was actually by accident. I was looking for some interesting streams on Twitch and I saw that someone was streaming Super Mario 64. I always love watching this game so I figured why not. However this wasn't just a normal playthrough. This guy was timing himself and attempting to beat the game in less than like...2 hours. And yeah, he got it done. It was impressive to say the least. The maneuvers he had to master, the little things that make the game tick to and break to make the game even faster. It's just incredible to see the amount of detail that goes into doing something like this.

Then I started watching Games Done Quick on Youtube and that's pretty much what I'll watch if I'm looking for a speed run to just watch. They do a variety of games from Pokemon to Outlast. And yeah, the same amount of intricate detail goes into these runs as well. I imagine a bunch of time was put into perfecting every little movement but to see the end result pay off is just amazing.

Personally, I dont think I could do it. I dont have the patience or the attention span to put that much time into perfecting one game. I find the process and the results that come over to just be fantastic and mind blowing to watch. But I wouldn't be able to do it. I respect it for what it is and I respect those that can do it.

There is definitely a lot to be said about the impact speed running has had as well. Just watching past videos you can see that they continuously gather donations for charities. Every event they do is for charity. It's amazing that gaming has gotten to such a point that it can have as much of an impact that it is having literally today.

I also respect the amount of skill that must go into mastering the techniques necessary to succesd. I can't imagine the amount of practice and attention to detail that these people have to focus on constantly. Shows a lot of dedication and patience for sure.

So yeah, I'm a fan of speed running. I definitely think it's something worth checking out. You'd be amazed at what some of these people can do.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote