Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #35 (permalink)
Key

Genres Genres Genres!

So here's the thing, I had a whole post dedicated to this but it unfortunately got deleted. Nobody's fault. Just an accident. But I still want to talk about this because I enjoy this aspect of video games. When it comes to deciding which games to buy, I do go by a variety of different expectations. What's the game gonna be like? Will it help the genre? Perhaps yes perhaps no.

Now, thats not to say I don't have my own favorite genres of video games. I do. And some of which I'm gonna talk about right now. And as it turns out, I still don't have power at home so why wouldn't I try to at least go into a little depth.

It's funny. Growing up, I wasn't always the biggest fan of open world and RPG style games. I understand the open world genre is so jam packed with negativity that people tend to think it's a normie genre. In some ways it is. A lot of the time, open world games tend to feel the same and uninspired. However, with games like Shadow of War, Assassin's Creed, even Spider Man fits the bill, it's hard to really agree with that outlook. Yeah a lot of games don't do it well but when an open world RPG style game is done well, it can be a ton of fun. Now lets just forget about Fallout 76 and it's existence.

Next up, roguelikes! I love em. I love the genre. I love the style of gameplay that can be changed around to make some originality come alive. Roguelikes are probably within the top 3 game genres that I love the most. It's right there with open world RPGs and of course the next one I'm gonna talk about. But when games like Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, Crypt of the Necromancer all exist, it's hard to really throw shade at the genre. As a whole, it just gets better and better and more games spark more originality. Slay The Spire is another one and it's card based. It's also one of my favorite games of that year.

Within the top 3 genres that I love, there's one that may or may not surprise you. Simulation / Management style games. I'm talking games like Planet Coaster, SimCity, Oxygen Not Included. Games that make you really think and manage your moves to succeed as long as possible. The infinity possibilities of things that can go wrong is shockingly fun to run into. It's the feeling of constant progression and learning that makes these kinds of games really fun. And I'll admit, I enjoy both Euro Truck Simulator and Farming Simulator. They're relaxing. They're great. I love em.

But of course among those I do have to just slightly mention Strategy style games. I love them probably as close to as much as Simulation style games. A lot of the same mental processes go through both genres. Managing your teams, your cities to make a longer life possible. Games like Civ 5, Warcraft III, Frostpunk. Anything that makes you think about your next move is always a possibility for a great time. It is for me at least.

So yeah, those would be the genres I tend to look out for most but if a game doesn't fit that bill but it looks like my kind of game, yeah I'll buy it. What's the worst that can happen? I at least gave it a shot.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote