Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Key

Remasters: Ones I Hope To See Someday

Powers back but still no Internet so I am again too lazy to try and add pictures and stuff. But hey, I try.

There's a lot of back and forths that can take place when talking about something like remasters. Some people think it's a lazy man's way of releasing a new game and some find them to be really great. I fall on more of the side of if the remaster is done well, it can be a real treat. Games like Fable Anniversary and The Crash and Spyro remasters really showcase what a good overhaul can do to an older game. It even happened with Wind Waker with the HD version and it really made an incredible difference. There's plenty of other examples but those ones are noteworthy right now. But, there's several games that have yet to get a full on remaster and I think that's just wrong. I understand why with some tho as certain rights have expired etc. It's still fun to talk about how certain games would work if they did get a new overhaul. I'm here to talk about some that I have definitely talked about in the past.

Fallout 3 (Anniversary Edition or Remastered)

Whether it's an anniversary remaster or just a standard one, Fallout 3 is in dire need of a remaster. If only just to make the game functional on PC. Right now it's nearly impossible to play unless you know how to work with game files etc. Not only that, but it would be incredible to see how Fallout 3 is improved with modern technology. Unfortunately I kind of doubt Bethesda would do it justice. But hey, modded are getting really really good so perhaps a fan made one?

Jet Set Radio Future Remastered

This is possibly my most wanted remaster. I have time and time again praised this game for really raising the bar for what it means to make a roller skating style game. So good in fact that literally nobody else has tried. If this game got a proper remaster and sold on new consoles, it would do extremely well. There's still a pretty large following for this game but it's not talked about a lot. But most people that have played this game agree that it's a true classic.

Banjo Kazooie / Banjo Tooie

I mean, you can really take any of the great N64 games and remaster them and I'd be happy. But if the Banjo Kazooie games were given a proper overhaul, I'd be able to die somewhat less depressed. Experiencing these games for the first time back in the day was certainly a treat and I think a solid remaster of the both of them would still capture that essence that made the games so good. They can do it with Spyro and Crash, they can certainly do it with Banjo and Kazooie. Up to you Rare.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II

There's a solid argument to be made here. Yeah you wouldn't want to ruin the essence that makes this game great and some of it is due to its age. It has held up pretty well but cerain things about its age make the game sometimes pretty funny. Now, I also don't think itd be impossible to make a really good remaster of these two games. It would certainly make the fans happy to be able to play remastered versions of their favorite games. I just think these games are so well made that a good remaster would simply compliment it. Hell they could sell them together as a collectors edition of sorts. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. And I'd probably put many hours into both games as I have with the originals.

Other notable mentions would go to Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Black Ops 1, Yoshi's Story, and of course many others. I just can't think of them right now.

I do genuinely enjoy the concept of remasters because it's basically refining the already existing piece of art. It becomes a collaborative effort to make the game look as good as it possibly can. Some succeed some fail, but I'd say from experience, I've seen more succeed.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote