Music Banter - View Single Post - MicShazam's 1000 best songs of all time list
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Kate Bush - Egypt
Album: Never Forever
Year: 1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lProYoEtHYw

One of the weirder tracks off this album, but also my undisputed favorite on the entire disc. I'm not sure where it ranks in Kate's discography overall, but it needs to be on the 1000 songs list for absolute certain!

The song starts out with what must be Kate attempting to imitate bird noises of some sort with her voice. I remember feeling a bit weird about that when I first heard the song, but it very quickly became one of my absolute favorites.

The careful ebb and flow of the vocal lines in this song are amazingly engaging and beautiful. I think Kate is in top form here. She's rarely done a better singing performance in my opinion.

I love the ominous multi layered vocal part that lumbers towards a climactic explosion of... basically prog rock? My only gripe with the instrumental playout of the song is that it isn't longer. But better to leave the listener hungry for more than outstay your welcome. That's a rule of songwriting that should be etched in stone.

Let's rewind to the first half of the track, with all of those low key vocal passages. Notice what the keyboards are doing in the background throughout. I love that sound so much! There are some keyboard sounds that were used in the 80's that really help build some atmosphere in a way that speaks to me deeply. I can't explain it. But my infatuation with keyboards and organs of some types will come up again in the future, guaranteed.

I should also make sure to mention that if you listen to this track without paying close attention to the sublime bass and drum performances, then you're doing it very, very wrong.

All in all, Kate at the top of her game!

Last edited by MicShazam; 01-12-2019 at 03:28 PM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote