Music Banter - View Single Post - MicShazam's 1000 best songs of all time list
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Vashti Bunyan - Rose Hip November
Album: Just Another Diamond Day
Year: 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6en1BTlY0Kw

Not too surprising to anyone with good memory of member posting history, since I've posted this one multiple times over the years.

Moody organs? Check. Moody, sensitive vocal performance? Check. At least two things that tend to appeal to me present and accounted for.

It's a very short track, but through those 2½ minutes, this song manages to tug at my heartstrings more than most albums manage during their entire run time.
Is it silly and embarrassing to say that some songs are your go-to tracks when you're feeling very down? This is one of mine. I listen to it loud and closely and it makes me tear up like a kid who dropped his ice cream on the ground.

There's so many musical details seeping into this track over time. You might miss several details if on your first listen if you're not attentive. There's - among other things - an organ, acoustic guitar, flute and a glockenspiel. Some details near the end sound like some kind of renaissance guitar and some other small details in the background I'm not sure of.

Another standout feature of this track are Vashti's vocals, which are clear and up-front in the mix, but still sound like if you were standing next to hear, they would be halfway towards a mere whisper. Her frail singing hits me right where it hurts, in a good way.

Last edited by MicShazam; 01-12-2019 at 03:28 PM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote