Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Club 2019: Thuja - All Strange Beasts Of The Past
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zhanteimi
Mord

Thuja - All Strange Beasts of the Past

USA
Free Folk

Thoughts: First of all, this is a short record considering it's a modern one, but I think it works well considering the subject matter, which is a droning meandering through a minimal free folk soundscape. This is just a random thought of mine, but it feels like the music is exploring all the misty, empty territory between that branch in the foreground and the (whatever that is) in the background. The music here imposes nothing on the listener, allowing me to complete the themes with my own imagination. This is a CD-only release, but looking at the tracklist breakdown, it's almost vinyl in its format. The first six tracks combined length is about the same at the seventh track's length, like the first six would be side A, and the long seventh track would be side B. The free-form music of side A is a multi-sectional, dreamy prologue to the main event of the album, the 18-minute field recording wherein the music is more like a veil over the real world.

Rating: 7/10

LetsTalkMusic
Zhanteimi is offline   Reply With Quote