Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
Key

Maps, Maps, Maps! [Part 1]

I'm going to preface this by saying there will be many spoilers here as there's going to be fully revealed maps of video games I've played. If you don't want things spoiled, don't read on. Otherwise, enjoy!

Something I've always found sort of fascinating about video games is the amount of intricate detail that goes into creating the map of a game. I'm talking about when you press start usually and see the world map. Often times it's filled with a cloud or something until you explore it. But god damn, there's a certain excitement that it brings when you see the map of a video game for the first time. The adventure you're about to take, the amount of things you'll get to do.

Let's talk about a few games that have done this extremely successfully:

Breath of the Wild is the first one to come to mind. When we're talking about creating excitement for a video game, this one certainly does it best.

Take a look at this world map.

Spoiler for world map:

And yes, I have explored the entirety of this map and it is so so worth it. Every little nook and cranny holds something interesting to do or explore. And sometimes the rewards are pretty amazing and plenty.

Next up is one I've talked about before but I just want to talk about it again because why the hell not. Middle Earth: Shadow of War certainly has an amazing world map to venture through and explore. This one is kind of tough because there's multiple maps through the game. So i'll just post a few to give you an idea of how vast this game can be.

Spoiler for world maps:

Of course, what kind of entry about maps would this be if I didn't talk about one of the truly most impressive world maps out there. And honestly, I'm not putting this in spoilers tags because everybody should already appreciate this one.

Couldn't find a better picture of this map so **** it. You know what I'm talking about. Of course I'm talking about Skyrim. One of the finest and most refined world maps out there. This game was such a thrill going through for the first time and it still has that feeling of adventure many years later. Truly a remarkable piece of work.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote