Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest sell-outs?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #39 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

Well, being from the older crowd, I'd say probably the biggest 'sellouts' from my youth are probably Aerosmith and Elton John. In the 70's and early 80s, these two consistently put out great music. In Aerosmith's case, they were edgy, had crunchy licks and rauchy lyrics. They pretty much snubbed their noses at anyone and everyone. If you liked them, fine, if you didn't, your loss.

In Elton John's case, he was, the first ten years of his career, a true artist. His music was creative. His lyrics, thought provoking, heartfelt and at times, downright painful.

I hate to say it, because most of the folks in here watch it every day, but MTV killed Aerosmith. Well, the Aerosmith I cut my rock and roll teeth on, anyway.

I have to give them credit, though. Aerosmith is one of the rare bands that made the adjustment from AOR radio to music videos, and captured the next generation of fans. Kids that were 5-6 years old in Aero's 'first' prime, were now 15-16, in the mid-late 80's, and watching MTV every day, seeing Rag Doll, Dude Looks Like A Lady, Love in an Elevator, Cryin', etc, etc, etc.

Aerosmith was smart enough to know that, with the advent of MTV, it became more important to be seen than to be heard. They have two sets of fans. The ones from the 70's, and the MTV generation. Genius, to an extent.

The only problem with that is, in my opinion, and that of the first wave of fans, is that the music has suffered because of the focus on being seen. That's where I think they sold out. They compromised their music, started cranking out formulaic hits for MTV. That's just my opinion, of course.

There are two Aerosmiths. Anyone who cares to compare them, Listen to the songs I listed above, and then latch on to these:

Movin' Out
Lick and a Promise
I Wanna Know Why
Rats in the Cellar
Chip Away the Stone
Uncle Salty
Seasons of Wither

Oh, man, I could go on, but I'll stop there. THAT'S the bad boys from Boston I grew up with. Damn crunchy rock and roll.

As far as Elton John is concerned, I don't know that he sold out, or if he just got lazy. He signed a big deal with Disney, and has written one long, tedious, bland Disney song for the last 15 years. Oh well, gotta pay the bills, I suppose.