Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #16844 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ That is factually incorrect. According to this article, dated Dec 12, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...al/2336303002/ :-

On or about the same day Mike Pence announced that Trump would sign off on the same package as well. That looks like a deal to me, until Trump abdicated to Ann Coulter and did a u-turn. Don't try re-writing history. There was bipartisan agreement to keep the government open which Trump alone scuppered.
That article clearly mentions an "11th hour" spending bill that McConnell proposed that the Democrats rejected. McConnell's second proposal wasn't greeted warmly either. Senor Trump steps in and asks for the 5 billion. Pelosi and Schumer said no. Boom, shutdown. Whatever Pence said or didn't say is irrelevant.

Quote:
^ You seem to be grumbling that the Dems should show forebearance because Trump is so wayward. That's not the role of the opposition. Better to demand that the Republicans stop enabling the loose cannon that they have sacrificed their integrity to.
They should, because if they had done so then people would have gotten their paychecks earlier. All they needed to do was take Trump's offer in regards to DACA and tweak it in their favor.

Like I said, somebody has to be the adult in the room. What were they going to do if Trump decided to go beyond a month of keeping the government closed? They had no plan at all.

Quote:
^ I appreciate the fact that we can discuss politics without personal animosity so if you think I breached that arrangement, I apologize. On the other hand, politics is far from bloodless. It affects lives and sometimes costs lives. Federal workers are people, so please don't fall into Trump's way of thinking of them as pawns in a bloodless political scheme.
Unfortunately, there isn't a single politician that really cares about their constituents in any party. Not even people like Ocasio-Cortez. Otherwise they wouldn't take salaries month after month during periods where fed employees aren't being paid....all at the expense of the taxpayer who always gets screwed first and foremost. Or fly to Puerto Rico to go see Hamilton with hundreds of corporate lobbyists under the pretense of providing "guidance" to the local government.

Quote:
^ Dems living in idle bliss in Puerto Rico, Mitch toiling away unseen, do you have any proper evidence for either claim? From the start the Dems made their position clear, and for weeks at a time the Trump camp offered no real alternative. Were the Dems supposed to hover at his door like supplicants hoping for Trump's next utterance? Even I know that's not the art of the deal.
This avant-garde slice of photography comes to us courtesy of National Geographic: "Democrats Hard At Work With Corporate Lobbyists On Day 22 of Trump's Shutdown"

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 01-27-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote