Music Banter - View Single Post - Latin American Old Rock
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Ritchie Valens was one of the greatest in early Rock and Roll. His life was cut so short and there isn't much material left by him. However he did make it on the silver screen, and there is a biopic about him. I've seen it over two dozen times.

Ritchie Valens - Ooh My Head

Los Lobos - La Bamba

I watch a doc on Spanish Rock, and they didn't include Herb Alpert. Which I think is a shame. Even though he isn't Mexican, and he describes his band as "Four lasagnas, two bagels, and an American cheese." he did help popularize Mariachi music. When you think of it, Herb Alpert was a hit machine in the 60s on par with Motown and The Beatles and he did it was Mariachi music.

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Spanish Flea

Martinez appears in the Alan Freed movie, "Rock Around the Clock." He might not be considered "Latin American Old Rock" but he was seen by Rock n Roll fans at the time. Tony did three songs for the move. I could only find one video: "Cuero."
Tony Martinez and His Band - Cuero

I can only describe this next song as Progressive Rock Exotica. Yma Sumac was billed as a Peruvian princess. There was a conspiracy theory that she was really Jewish, from Brooklyn and her real name was Amy Camus.

El Condor Pasa (Original) - YMA SUMAC (1971)

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-29-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote