Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #68 (permalink)
Key

Fallout 3 (An In Depth Look) pt.3

Now, when it comes to other locations in Fallout 3 that I remember pretty vividly, the little city that was on the boat was one that probably carried the most weight. I genuinely enjoyed talking to the people inside the structure and getting to know them. It was like they lived in a completely separate world apart from the dead world on the outside. I probably spent the most time there doing quests and all that good stuff, and again, genuinely enjoyed it. But that's pretty much easy to say about the whole game in general. I explored pretty much everything that I could in this game and I did much the same in Fallout 4. And yes, there is a lot to explore.

There is something specifically that did have a pretty eery effect on me though, and that's probably due to the fact that it's literally a cemetery, but god damn Bethesda did this cemetery so respectfully that it was genuinely an interesting time exploring the lone house on the hill. Be warned though, when I went in there for the first time, I didn't have the internet to tell me what to expect because I didn't want anything spoiled, but man, good ****.

Anyway:

Walking into the Arlington Cemetery for the first time when you've already been walking through the post apocalypsed world around you, it certainly leaves an uneasy feeling that even though the world is dead, these people were already dead before it and they have no reason to believe anything happened. It's also crazy to think that there are potentially bodies underneath the ground that you're walking on, but maybe that's just me and my silly paranoia. Either way, I loved walking through here for the first time because it genuinely felt terrifying and it did leave a feeling of unease.

Another location that I do want to just briefly mention is the whole sequence of you being trapped inside of an old 1940's esque neighborhood. Yes, I'm talking about this one:

Good ol' Tranquility Lane. Where everything seems innocent up until you realize what you've gotten yourself into. I loved this part in the game because it was riddled with such nonsense behavior that it was genuinely enjoyable watching everything unfold and fall apart. And of course the added benefit of finding your dad but y'know, whatever. I wish they would expand on this idea some more because it's genuinely a really good one and it was implemented into the story so well. It didn't really feel random or anything like that.

Otherwise, I just sort of went on my own way and explored as much of the map as I could. Seeing all the museums, going into every building and seeing everything the game had to offer. Fighting bandits and all that good stuff were really fun but just the exploration of Washington D.C. in ruins is just its own reward. Probably in the next part I'll be talking about the DLC's that I enjoyed the most. And once that's done I'm thinking we'll wrap up Fallout 3 and push onwards.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote