Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #74 (permalink)
Key

Part 1

When it comes to open world games or just widely expansive RPG's, something that tends to stick with me the most over most other things is the music that plays in the background. Sometimes you're met with something so beautiful that the entire game would probably feel different had it not been in the game. I've talked about video game music many many times, but specifically open world games tend to get themselves overlooked. In regards to music that is. There's so much to open world games that the music does take a back seat sometimes. So, let's go over quite a few of them.

Spoiler for breath of the wild:

I give Breath of the Wild a lot of praise because of how amazing it truly is. And the music is something I feel got overlooked when people made their reviews of this game. Just this overworld theme that plays as you're running from point A to point whatever, it really does wonders for getting immersed into the world. Very calming and easy listening. I'm honestly glad they went this route because it also brought this:

^easily one of the best songs in any video game ever. it's seriously so good.

Anyway, before I get myself all wrapped up in Breath of the Wild, let's talk about perhaps a more simple track from a game I also absolutely love. Typically, it seems like it anyway, in open world games, the menu screens seem to have pretty calming soundtracks. And yeah, I notice them. Don't you? The one that has always stayed in my mind even after months of not playing the game, is this one from Shadow of War:

Spoiler for shadow of war:

There's just something about it that makes it great. Maybe it's the feeling of adventure tied behind it? I don't know. It's great though. Made exploring the map that much more satisfying.

And I think we'll leave this part off on a high note with still one of my all time favorite tracks ever. It's of course from Fable III and I know it seems random, but when we're talking video game music, this is the one I instantly think of every time. Plus, it's kind of nice to hear it after not hearing it for so many years.

Spoiler for fable 3:
Key is offline   Reply With Quote