Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #76 (permalink)
Key

Subnautica

I knew before long, this game was bound to make it into this theme month somehow. Yeah, I consider Subnautica to be an open world, don't you? It's a survival style open world game much like Minecraft and all those. Not necessarily a bad thing though seeing as Subnautica does a lot more than just being a simple explore and crafting style game. It brings an atmosphere to the player that hasn't really been done to this extent before. Yeah, I'm talking about being underwater. It's such a great idea for a game and I'm glad it was this team that did it.

Ever since Subnautica was in early access, I was on board. However, in its earlier stages, the game was nowhere near complete nor was it anywhere near the game we see today. It had a lot of issues, more specifically the performance issues. But, luckily that's been fixed for the most part despite a few hiccups. But you can't always expect perfection.

Subnautica takes everything you know about survival and throws it out the window because surviving underwater is its own beast entirely. The game comes with a day and night cycle again, much like Minecraft or any game in general to be fair. With that comes the change of atmosphere underwater. Y'know, because there's no light when its dark. And exploring the depths with no light above you or from your flashlight, it can get pretty terrifying. Just check this out:

I'm not lying when I tell you that when you're swimming underwater in this game at night, the amount of fear that comes from just the atmosphere alone is terrifying. It can definitely be considered a horror-esque survival game. It's honestly that creepy and sometimes it's tough to even progress because you really don't want to explore the dark depths. Which sometimes you do have to do if you're not equipped properly. But it's still a **** ton of fun.

The game really opens up when you start building your habitat and can basically stock your base up with all kinds of materials and quality of life improvements. It's nice to be able to go to your base and then continue to progress as you get deeper and deeper into the ocean. And yeah, you can go pretty deep eventually. I hear it just gets more and more terrifying but I've yet to get to that point. Building your habitat is a lot of fun to because there's so many different ways you can go about it. Really allows the creativity to shine.

Here's a pretty good example. This is not mine, though I do like mine:

And it's never a bad time to hop on the Subnautica bandwagon, but now they've released a standalone DLC with Subnautica Below Zero, so perhaps its the best time to get into it now before it really starts to evolve into something even more than it is now. And trust me, its current form is amazing. Both the main game and the DLC.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote